background

Monday, February 20, 2012

Arise, Shine.


For those of us who work both sides of the clock, burn both ends of the candle, and exhaustion and bleakness threaten. He says:

 

“The sun shall no longer be your light by day,
Nor for brightness shall the moon give light to you;
But the Lord will be to you an everlasting light,
And your God your glory.

Your sun shall no longer go down,
Nor shall your moon withdraw itself;
For the Lord will be your everlasting light…”

 

What a refuge to know that my God is working in each moment, His light never ceases. When I rise to a crying child in the night, or fall off the edge of my bed, crowded by three kids with bad dreams piled in, when I pour the millionth cup of milk, wipe up the spilled-bazillinth-one, check spelling lists, wash dishes, dirty dishes, switch loads of laundry…His light is everlasting, not my work. He is radiant heat to warm and soften hearts.  

 

Arise, shine;
For your light has come!
And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you.
 For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth,

And deep darkness the people;
But the Lord will arise over you,
And His glory will be seen upon you.
 The Gentiles shall come to your light,
And kings to the brightness of your rising.

“Lift up your eyes all around, and see:
They all gather together, they come to you;
Your sons shall come from afar,
And your daughters shall be nursed at your side.
Then you shall see and become radiant,
And your heart shall swell with joy;

Weariness melts away at the thought, at the image of this beauty, this love. A vision of such loveliness I long to be. I love to draw my children into my presence, but I long to draw them into His. For the slightest beauty and grace that may pass from my hands to their hearts is only a poor imitation of His outpouring of love.

And though my failings surround me each day, they cannot stand up to the grace and light of my gracious Father, calling me, calling your name too, to arise. “Lift up your eyes, all around, and see…” His love is all around… “Then you shall see and become radiant, and your heart shall swell with joy.”

What a glorious calling this motherhood, womanhood, daughter-of-the-King is. May we rise to it.

(Isaiah 60)










Together in Grace,
Amy


You might also like Close to His Heart or Heavenward.


1 comment:

  1. Hey, Amy! Just stumbled onto your blog. I've been so out of the blogging stuff for the past year basically. But I want back in! I love reading thoughts of people I care about. I'm trying to get back into blogging too. Thanks for your encouraging words. Love you!

    ReplyDelete