background

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Thanks to a Man I Had Yet to Meet.

This isn't Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, or March 23rd...but still, I was remembering.
Looking through old pictures.

I remember one man who was impacted-- who had an impact on others.
His name was Joe Raedle. He was an embedded photographer attached to Evan's Company during the war. I had never met the man, never heard his name, but he would deliver some of the best news of my life to me. He was there that day, March 23rd, dubbed the bloodiest firefight in Iraq. 

All I had were the updates on the Department of Defense's website. Killed in action, missing in action-- men that I had sat across tables with weeks before at our Christmas party, who had held Melanie, men who I'd served hot enchiladas to in our home till they scraped the platters empty. I was thankful I did not read his name, yet I had no assurances-- was he hurt? His body? His mind? The wounds on the inside can tear much deeper then the ones that mar our body. 

And finally, Friday, March 28th-- 5 days after the firefight, I received an email (best email of my life) from Joe Raedle. It read: "Hey sweetheart. I love you and miss you so much. I am doing fine. Please do not worry, God is taking care of me. He has been with me everywhere I go. I hope you are doing well. Give Melanie a kiss for me. Love Evan."

This photographer, he certainly didn't have to get a message through, for two strangers, but he did. He had compassion. I am so thankful. It would be two months before I would hear from Evan again, when his homemade-MRE-box-postcard would land in my mailbox in California.

We've buried these stories, and even though I long to dust them off, to ask questions, to know-- for his sake, and because they're his wounds, I let it go. But I know this story is part of who he is now. It's part of who we are. It's the scenery this river of our life has flowed through. And there is this picture-- this moment that I cling to, when the pieces of him which came home from the war were back in my arms, God graciously brought us back together.

Joe Raedle, who was so touched by them men he saw fighting, came to be a part of their lives-- he was there that day too, flew in to see those who were coming home set their feet back on American soil. This is his picture, of us with little Melanie sandwiched between. She didn't know her daddy, but I am so glad that she was given the chance to. I shook Mr. Raedle's hand the day Evan returned. I was able to thank him. 

March 23rd was just part of Evan's life, of my life, but it became a part of Joe Raedle's life too. God intertwines so much of life this way-- the timing of when we come into one anothers lives, hear words from the pulpit at the right moment-- He works in ways so much bigger then our own. 

Today, I gratefully remember: Joe Raedle, my faithful, changed husband, the 18 men from his company who died that day, his best friend Patrick, the others wounded, inside and out. Mostly I think upon a Sovereign God, who works all things to His purpose, who heals in His timing, and I thank Him for saving the pieces, for saving my broken pieces, and everyday working to complete me.

Philippians 1:3-6 I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, 4always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. 6And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. 7It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace...
 
 

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

For more of Joe Raedle's photography, click on picture below: (warning, some of these are from March 23rd, 2003 and contain graphic images) 


You might also like: Always a Bride. Never a Bridesmaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment