background

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sweet Dreams Amy, Love Dad.


It was Christmas Eve, soon to be Christmas-- I stood and held my daddy's hand. He didn't want water and everything was uncomfortable; his breathing labored. I watched him struggle and there was so little I could do to help. It was around one now, of Christmas; dad and I were alone with the beeping monitors and hallway nurses. He pushed up his lips and signaled with his hand for me to come close, and he gave me one last kiss upon my cheek. I remember his scratchy beard rubbing my face, and even then I knew how special this memory would become. I love my dad, and I'm so thankful for the constancy of his love, even at the end.



Dying isn't easy. We rarely have a choice in the matter. Jesus did. He willingly took the rough, heavy cross upon His back to show us the constancy of His love. My dad's body had given out, but even at the end, He was constant in his love for God, and his love for his family...


His hands shook so as he wrote out his prayer request, but his heart was anchored deeply. He'd been adding weight to that anchor for at least 42 of his 46 years of life.  Constancy requires a heavy anchor so that gusting winds, and stormy gales cannot uproot it. Jesus's love is constant.

John 13:1
Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.

He loved us even as he died, amidst the pain. My daddy loved Him even as he died, amidst his suffering.

And as steady as constant love is, it is not a boring love. A constant love still looks for the gestures that awaken the heart to see and feel love, like goodbye kisses, and unexpected notes on a pillow.



These are the things we hold dear, holding dearest to Him, and then to the ones He gave us to love. Constant love isn't easy. Wearing out is easy. Being tossed about by waves uses far less strength than fighting against them. But it's a good fight to fight for love.

Lord, help me to add weight to my anchor. Help me to draw consistently from your well, so that my love for others will not run dry.

My love sonnet from Him today: a reminder of love, of constancy, scripted in my dad's handwriting. 

Romancing your spouse as part of the: 21 Days of Romance Challenge?

Here are a few ideas to show love, (and not just for spouses-- romance is for children and parents, friends and family-- demonstrations of love are for everyone.)

Gift some Hersheys Hugs or Kisses, with your own notes of love or appreciation stemming from their tops.

Write a thank you note to your spouse or friend, just because you are grateful for them.

Invest in the relationship through prayer.

Care to see where we've been on this 21 Days of Romance? (Seeking out romance in His word) You might like to see: 
Day 5: God created us for romance. Will I choose it?


2 comments:

  1. Amy, this is beautiful. Your dad was truly the gentlest and kindest man I've ever known. I have many memories of him. You must miss him so much, but he has certainly left a lasting legacy through you and your sisters. There is peace in knowing we will will see him again one day in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thanks for sharing this tender memory. I remember once in elementary school, you wrote an essay for a contest (and won) about your dad and I cried when it was read out loud. I'm still enjoying your 21 day series.

    ReplyDelete