background

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A little Rouge, A Little Perfume, Too Little Primping Time Before Church.

Day 12 of the 21 Days of Romance Challenge. 

Yes, I was the girl who was very determined that my husband should never see me without make-up or my hair done up. I paint my nails and curl my hair before going to deliver my babies. After all, this is an occasion for lots of pictures, right? I am the girl who now on Sunday mornings is ready the quickest of them all. It’s on Sundays that people ask if I’ve done something different with my hair. And every time I smile because I am know that all they see is a lighter shade of blond—the washed clean shade. My makeup bag comes on the drive to church with me. Beforehand, I am far too busy finding hair bows, brushing out tangles, searching for eight matching shoes, little purses, too busy with diaper changes and wiping little hands and faces after breakfast. My prep time is at most10 percent of what it once was.

But beauty takes prep time. So does romance. Our hearts need to be made ready for love.

1 Corinthians 11:28
“A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.”

Matthew 5:23-24 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.“

 

Jesus asks that we prepare our hearts for Him. We must clean out the filth, must make room in our hearts for His presence. He asks that we rid our hearts of bitterness, unforgiveness, before we can offer our hearts to Him, share in true communion. And it is much the same when we invite in love. I cannot fully love my husband, my family-- friends, until I’ve “cleaned up” starting on the inside. Inner beauty treatments aren’t over rated. 

 

When my heart is prepared, I don’t have to hold back, don’t have to hide behind any walls. When my heart has been fully swept clean at Jesus’ feet, I can invite company past the doorstep. When anger and hurt have been unbandaged, confessed, Jesus’ salve can heal the wounds. 

 

Jesus spent six hours dying on the cross. Six hours preparing for the greatest demonstration of love that is ever to be known by man. To truly love others first takes an emptying of me. How much time does it take to die to self? That is how long preparation for the truest love, truest romance takes. 

 

We can never be close to those holding the trash bags of our heart. It will stink when we are near. We must give love room to breathe. Love must be fragrant. We must first give Him room to fill our hearts with His love.

 

Lord Jesus, may reconciliation be a pearl of beauty in my heart. My I reconcile myself heart, soul, and mind to You. May I have communion with the hearts dearest, by laying the hurts and rotting bitterness in Your hands—Your hands which make all things beautiful. Help me take time for beauty treatments, for preparation of my heart.

 

Ecclesiastes 3:11”He hath made everything beautiful in its time: also he hath set eternity in their heart.”

 

(At least the boy is easy to get ready for outings)

My love sonnet from You: that You are preparing for me too. “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.

 

Care to see where we've been on this 21 Days of Romance? (Seeking out romance in His word) You might like to see: 

Day 5: God created us for romance. Will I choose it?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment