background

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tender Words.

Day 7 of the 21 Days of Romance Challenge. 

We know this story of Dinah. It didn’t begin well. It doesn’t end well. But in all the shame and we read these words: “his soul was drawn to Dinah… He loved the young woman and spoke tenderly to her.” (Genesis 34:3)

And yet, even from this selfish, un-God fearing man are the words: “his soul was drawn to Dinah… He loved the young woman and spoke tenderly to her.” There is a time for romance, a time to be this passionate, if it is within the context of marriage.  And within its boundaries, we can see that one of the most beautiful forms of expressing love is in tenderness, tender words. Jesus spoke them.

In Hosea, God sends His prophet to marry the prostitute, to love her again and again, even after she walks away. Because He is like that to His people. He speaks:

“"Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her.”

I long to be spoken to, tenderly. Is there a woman that doesn’t? And His tender words are like a sonnet on every page in His word. Today, romance speaks of tenderness, tender words: from Him, to Him, and from my lips to others too.

Lord may I speak like Moses (who was afraid to be God’s voice), who later sings to Him:

  "Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak,
   and let the earth hear the words of my mouth.
2May my teaching drop as the rain,
   my speech distill as the dew,
like gentle rain upon the tender grass,
   and like showers upon the herb.
3For I will proclaim the name of the LORD;
   ascribe greatness to our God!
(Deuteronomy 32)

Words last, longer than our life. He is the Word, the tender shepherd. John 10:27 “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” What could be more tender? He wants me to hear His voice, softly calls my name. The great romantic, our God allures us, and speaks tenderly. He sets the bar.

This hymn says it far better than I could:

Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
Calling for you and for me;
See, on the portals He’s waiting and watching,
Watching for you and for me.

Refrain

Come home, come home,
You who are weary, come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling, O sinner, come home!
Why should we tarry when Jesus is pleading,
Pleading for you and for me?
Why should we linger and heed not His mercies,
Mercies for you and for me?

O for the wonderful love He has promised,
Promised for you and for me!
Though we have sinned, He has mercy and pardon,
Pardon for you and for me.



 “Children are incurable romantics. Brimful of romance and tragedy, we whirl through childhood hopelessly in love with our parents. In our epic imagination, we love and are loved with a passion so natural and innocent we may never know its like as adults.”-Roger Gould.


And a plug for a book with nothing but:
The Tender Words of God
A Daily Guide
By: Ann Spangler   



Isaiah 40 Comfort, comfort my people, says your God.  Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and cry to her that her warfare is ended, that her iniquity is pardoned, that she has received from the LORD’s hand double for all her sins.

Romancing your spouse as part of the: 21 Days of Romance Challenge?

Here are a few ideas to speak tenderly to him:
Write a love letter: hand it over, mail it, present it in a journal, tuck it under a pillow...however. Here are a few famous love letters to get you started: http://www.romantic-ideas-online.com/famous-love-letters.html 

From online: Make a String Maze for your mate to find a small gift. You will need a ball of yarn or string. If the gift is small enough, start by winding the end of the string or yarn around it. Starting at the gift, unwind it all over your house (and yard, weather permitting) over and under and all around (Sh-h-h-h-h!) until it eventually leads to your sweetheart. They must follow the string (winding it up as they go) until they get to the end and the gift.

And more from online: Hide romantic coupons in unexpected places. Tuck inside a CD or DVD case. Slit open food packages or boxes, slip inside and tape or reseal. The same can be done with any kind of packaging; toothpaste boxes, soap boxes or laundry detergent. Another romantic idea: Steam open a piece of mail that you know they will open and insert the coupon. (bank statement, credit card bill, tax refund check) Reseal. SURPRISE! 
Scroll down on this site for super fun, free printable coupons here: http://www.romantic-ideas-online.com/romantic-coupons.html

Care to see where we've been on this 21 Days of Romance? (Seeking out romance in His word) You might like to see: 
Day 5: God created us for romance. Will I choose it?


No comments:

Post a Comment