background

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Feast at His Table because I Burn my Side Dishes.


I’m looking between the lines of His word, like I used to read between the lines of Evan’s screened mail when he was overseas. Jesus did not love a woman in a sexual sense, but he was fully man. He knew how to love. How did He show affection, I wonder, I read. I come to Matthew 14:14-20

“When he went ashore he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them and healed their sick. 15 Now when it was evening, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a desolate place, and the day is now over; send the crowds away to go into the villages and buy food for themselves.” 16 But Jesus said, They need not go away; you give them something to eat.” 17 They said to him, “We have only five loaves here and two fish.” 18 And he said, “Bring them here to me.” 19 Then he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass, and taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven and said a blessing. Then he broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. 20 And they all ate and were satisfied.”

Now the preface of this story is Jesus, a real, tired man, looking for some solace, retreating. And then He saw their need. He had compassion. He met the needs of their hearts first, and then their bodies. He put their needs before His own.

Romance is passion—from the word compassion. You need to have passion before you can have compassion. Passion is what gets you up in the morning, puts your feet on the ground. Passion fuels compassion. Wikipedia says compassion is measured by passion. We cannot have a compassionate God without acknowledging that He is first a passionate God. And He calls us to be like Him. Truly, He must have planned for us, male or female, single or married, to live passionately, live with affection, live out lives of romance.

He feeds the multitude again in chapter 15. “Then Jesus called his disciples to him and said, I have compassion on the crowd because they have been with me now three days and have nothing to eat. And I am unwilling to send them away hungry, lest they faint on the way.”…. he took the seven loaves and the fish, and having given thanks he broke them and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. 37 And they all ate and were satisfied. And they took up seven baskets full of the broken pieces left over.

Jesus knew that without food we are faint, so He feeds us as the most tangible way to reach our hearts. We feast at His table and He fills our souls. God feeds us in desolate places because He wants to satisfy. His passion is over the top—there is more than enough. His feasts requires to-go boxes; there are always leftovers.

Song of Solomon 2:4-5 You led me to your banquet room, and showered me with love. Refresh and strengthen me with raisins and apples, I am hungry for love!”

God created us with physical needs: hunger and love. We cannot ignore either need. Nor can we excuse ourselves from it, “I’m just not that type of person.” We-All-Hunger. We all need food. Jesus demonstrates feeding-- how to love, but it doesn’t end there. Romance is for feasting. For satisfying. He lived it, so that we can too. He wants us to fill one another, to set the table with compassion for one another, fueling the tapered candles with passion. Aprons anyone? My feet drag a little on the way to the kitchen because I’ve flopped recipes, mistaken ground turkey with breakfast sausage in our hamburgers. I’ve done Easter eggs that “spilled” and forgotten side dishes in the oven until they were black. Oh, and my cakes usually have to be glued together with frosting. Can I do this Lord?

But this feast, this “romance” is not just for the spouse, or those otherwise “in love.” This passion and compassion is for all, brothers and sisters, parents and children. Affection manifests itself in many forms. But at the heart, it calls us to feed, and be fed, because He is unwilling to send us away hungry, lest we faint on our way. 

Lord, may I listen to the hunger pains of those around me. May I passionately have compassion for loving. May I look creatively for new recipes, new ways to love, ways to fill the hunger of their hearts, ways to lead them to You: the true Satisfier. May I not burn food. Mostly, may I come to that grassy hill, be in Your presence, feasting on the Word you bless and pass to my mouth. Make my life be a love-feast in Your banquet room.

 

Romancing your spouse as part of the: 21 days of Romance challenge?
Here are a few ideas for day 3(with a feasting theme) for today, and I’d love to hear some of yours too:

Married to an ice cream lover? Open a container of His favorite ice-cream, press a heart shaped cookie cutter inside, and fill it with chocolate syrup, and when frozen, pull out the heart mold. Your love, just under the lid.

Picnic in the dark, a beautiful spread under the stars, lots of candles (or not) and enjoy the last of summer nights together: your love in the backdrop of His.

Send a formal invitation for a dinner for two. Plan something special: your love in every bite.

Love notes in his lunch (or a sandwich wrapped in a paper love note) tupperware in his lunch that contains a surprise-- other than food. An unexpected gift card to his favorite lunch shop close to work, a surprise lunch drop in date, or a “late night at work” package, with some extra treats to keep him going…


Care to see where we've been on this 21 Days of Romance? (Seeking out romance in His word) You might like to see:


No comments:

Post a Comment