background

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Never Forsaken


 
Will you love him, comfort and keep him, and forsaking all others, remain true to him as long as you both shall live?”

Forsake: To give up something formerly held dear; renounce, to leave altogether; abandon.

We see it at its worst in Matthew. “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, ‘Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?’ that is, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” (27:46)

These same words were cried out by David in Psalms. “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?” (22:1) God no more forsook David, than He ever forsakes us. But, sometimes we still feel very alone.

Charles Swindoll writes: “God unleashed His wrath on His Son so that we might be spared that awful fate. This is the central message of the cross and the reason for our hope: God forsook His Son so that He might never forsake us. God assures us, ‘I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you’ (Hebrews 13:5)”

Love does not forsake. And today that is a romance that permeates my heart-- not necessarily that God would love me more than His Son, but that He would love me enough to forsake Him for my sake. My vows are, “’till death do you part.” He made covenant with me, a vow of love for eternity. How can that not stir up affection, transform this inefficient heart of mine to fill and pump more deeply? And perhaps this is ultimately what romance is: an awaking of my heart to feel love. His love purifies my love, today and always.

Lord, may all aspects of my love towards others not forsake. May I romance out of an awakened heart. May my love walk beside those who feel alone. May each thought, each deed, hold others dear, as You hold me dear. 
The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you
 with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.
Jeremiah 31:3

Will I love Him, keep Him, and forsaking all others, remain true to Him as long as I shall live?



Your love sonnet to me today: Knowing that the separation is over. I am held in His hand, written in His Lamb’s book of life-- never to be forsaken.

Romancing your spouse as part of the: 21 Days of Romance Challenge?

Here are a few ideas to prove a love that doesn't forsake:

Serve dessert first. Then share a walk after dinner-- your love, making room for the sweet stuff.

Make a special gift of passes somewhere you can walk around and spend time together, distracted from the chaos of life (museum, gardens, zoo, aquarium..?) Your love, still holding his hand.
It is said that going home is the best surprise you can give-- carve out time for an unexpected visit  (coming home early, dropping by their place of work with take-out, joining them somewhere unexpected...?) Your love, cherishing some extra time together.

Care to see where we've been on this 21 Days of Romance? (Seeking out romance in His word) You might like to see: 
Day 5: God created us for romance. Will I choose it?


No comments:

Post a Comment