background

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Close to His Heart.


If I am so often compared to a sheep in the Bible, it shouldn’t be any wonder that I wander through perilous valleys more times than not. And I am prone to be in danger. As my pastor preached this past Sunday, my only defense is my Shepherd: no horns, no sharp teeth, no speed or aggressive instincts to defend with. Whatever the prey, it is only my Shepherd that can save me: lost and dumb as I am. And as I feel an overwhelming need to be held close to His heart these days, I read in Isaiah 40:

11 He tends his flock like a shepherd:
   He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
   he gently leads those that have young.

I wonder at the beauty of these words. These days when all I want so badly is to get it right-- not miss this precious fleeting time I have to raise my own children. I want to pour into their lives in ways that build them up, that encourage and inspire, yearn to wet their thirst for a Savior, and I find the task so unbelievably risky. The stakes are so high if I am counted as the shepherd. Oh, but I’m not. I am merely a helpless mama sheep, caring for her young, best she can, but ultimately led gently, held closely, by the only One who can turn my muddled attempts into and good for His glory. My greatest task as a mother is to closely follow my Shepherd, and let Him gather and care for my sheep.
Lord, weak as I am, helpless as I am, please keep me close to Your heart. Lead me beside the still water, restore my soul. Lord, give me the strength to follow Your voice, the submission to be held in your arms, the discipline to stay on Your path, and the courage to walk joyfully through the valleys.


          
29 He gives strength to the weary
   and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
   and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD
   will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
   they will run and not grow weary,
   they will walk and not be faint
.- Isaiah 40

No comments:

Post a Comment