background

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Only Sight for Sore Eyes.


There are times when God is quiet, when life flows by on smooth steady water, gentle turns. And there are turbulent times. There are times when the waves beat hard enough to disorient. And yet something about it assures me that I am very much alive; I feel pain deeply; I am acquainted with real fear. And from the midst of the storm comes Jesus walking on water. His words, “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.“ (Matthew 14)
Everything inside of me needs to hear those words. I know that this storm can rage, but it can never destroy me, for passage to my homeland has been paid. And Jesus is here in the midst of the storm with me-- Jesus who rebukes the waves. “Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.” (Matthew 8:26) And while the storm yet rages, Lord, help my eyes to remain fixed on You, not the waves. God, You know how drenched I am. You know that I’ve faltered, know my white knuckles have been gripping the boat in fear. Lord, help my eyes to be fixed on You. (Matthew 14) “Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him [Peter]. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”  
Lord, help me to trust. Help the words from my mouth only proclaim: Truly, You are the Son of God. You are the Prince of Peace, Rebuker of the winds, My Shelter, Guard over my heart, Keeper of my soul.
Who is He to you today?


No comments:

Post a Comment