background

Friday, January 24, 2014

Wabi-Sabi.



Careful strokes of paint and fistfuls of play dough transform into little masterpieces at my table. And in these messy moments I realize that the most beautiful art is formable. Paint swirls loosely, pencils and pens can color into any limitless shape-- but the old crunchy pieces of play dough are unworkable.


Isaiah 64:8 
But now, O Lord, You are our Father; We are the clay, and You our potter; And all we are the work of Your hand.

I wonder what I am to Him—formable? Can He make something beautiful of my life? Or has my control hardened it? Is my heart stiff for His potter hands?


And when I cease to be teachable, I am a clay pot that must break. For I can no longer bend. 

I've been glued together enough times to know. I am a Wabi-Sabi, as the Japanese so name their imperfect pottery. But if my clay is soft, imperfect is in the eye of the Beholder.


The most beautiful art is formable. 

And the most Beautiful-- Him. He who has no beginning and no end, Whose Spirit hovers over the waters of the deep, Whose fingers paint with the stars, Whose blood turns black hearts to white--

He who formed man out of dust-- He who took on the form of man-- He who forms our ashen hearts to beauty-- He is what is most beautiful.   


And He takes time to make masterpieces.


Proverbs 12:1

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
    but he who hates reproof is stupid.  

Together in Grace, 
Amy 

1 comment:

  1. You are a masterpiece! Thank you for writing this. Today. These are words I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete