background

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Words from Him to Me.

Mixed in with a stack of junk mail and bills, a letter from my uncle arrived unexpectedly in reply to a Christmas card I'd sent. I sat down to pages of hand-written memories of a dad who he remembered as a brother, and friend. 



Strange how one person can be known-- and remembered in different ways. My longest memories of him were as sick, dying. Not the man he was in the pages I held. My memories of him were few compared a brother who'd grown up with him-- witnessed a whole life. 

I wonder that I'm not limited to a few hand-written memories of the God I know. I have a full, complete history. Eye-witness accounts, Autobiography. And if that isn't enough, we can each know Him intimately and share our experiences with one another, learning more of Him as we live in community.

I treasured the memories given to me, whitewashing them over a dad losing his strength-- to a man who was once strong and bested his big brother in lifting weights, and enjoyed doing it. 




But I treasure most of all that I hold more than one chapter of His book, more than one story of the Bible. I don't just know of Him dying. But of Him living. 
They aren't stories retold from man to man. They are words from Him to me. It is love that God hand-wrote His life for us line by line, so we could know Him. 

It is love that He wants to be known.

Romans 15:4
For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.


Deuteronomy 29:29
The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.



Together in Grace,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment