background

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Beauty is Essential.

She saw the flowers and delighted in them. He saw the paths: running, exploring. She saw the water, a stream to float fairy boats upon. He saw the water, wetness his aim. She saw the butterflies. He saw the mud.  She saw the beauty. He saw the freedom. 


 Three  little shes, and one littlest he, all designed as uniquely as each flower, plant and tree we saw in their glory. Each creation breathtaking, a work of beauty and love.



Words from a favorite book were reminded yesterday: “Scripture says the created world is filled with the glory of God (Isaiah 6:3) In what way? Primarily through its beauty…Nature is not primarily functional. It is primarily beautiful. Which is to say, beauty is in and of itself a great and glorious good, something we need in large doses (for God has seen fit to arrange for this).  Nature at the height of its glory shouts, Beauty is Essential! Revealing that Beauty is the essence of God. The whole world is full of His glory…

                The one sitting on the throne was as brilliant as gemstones—jasper and carnelian. And the glow of an emerald encircled his throne like a rainbow…In front of the throne was a shiny sea of glass, sparkling like crystal… (Rev. 3,6)

                LORD, this is what I seek… that I may…gaze upon the beauty of the LORD. (Psalm 27:4)

                Then remember what it’s like to come into a beautiful place, a garden or a meadow or a quiet beach. There is room for your soul. It expands. You can breathe again. You can rest. It is good. All is well.  That is what beauty says, all shall be well….Beauty also invites. You want to enter in, explore, partake of it, feast upon it…Beauty reminds us of an Eden we have never known, but somehow know our hearts were created for. Beauty speaks of heaven to come, when all shall be beautiful. Beauty draws us to God“ (Captivating 34-38). 


Beauty—God’s essence revealed in the world around us. Beauty, given to us out of love, not necessity. Beauty, we saw You yesterday. We sought after it in the gardens, discovering.  We saw Your glory. We were invited in.


Lord, may I come to the garden each day with You. May I look for Your beauty in creation. May I be a beauty-seeker. May I be drawn into Your rest. May I be Your image bearer, bringing beauty into the world too. May I bring beauty into my home.



                  Your love, Lord, seen today in You beauty.





I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

I’d stay in the garden with Him
Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.


You might also like: Love Completes.

1 comment:

  1. I knew the book right away! What a beautiful post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete