background

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Children live here.

You did not forbid them. They were welcomed. You embraced them, knew them by name. You genuinely loved them. They never inconvenienced You.

Does my home embrace? Are children welcome past the entry way? Children with their mess making abilities, sticky fingers, and kerfuffle? I wonder how You would have set up Your home, Lord? Could they have sat on the good furniture? Could they have put their fingers on the window to peer outside?

I want to invite my little ones to an atmosphere of grace. May they know they are wanted in this home, loved. Eyes that can’t yet see over the counter, doors too heavy, knobs too tall--  May I use stepping stools, Lord.

Help me not to hold them back, but let them grow, explore, create, have space to breathe. May they have a place to play, where toys can come out without frustration, have a place to belong.

May there be space for laughter, a place on the wall for their pictures, cups they can reach if they are thirsty, books at their fingertips to grow on.

May they have a comforting, soft and clean place to sleep, inviting them to the blessing of rest. May they have boundaries which protect, but not so many that quench their spirit. May I let them help stir up dinner, roll the color on their bedroom wall and pour the soap in the washing machine. Help me slow down when they are following and listen to their conversation with both ears. May they not just have fingerprints on the window, but fingerprints in the atmosphere. May I help them see where they belong.

Above all, may this home have an attitude of grace. May accidental spills, and I-didn’t-mean-to messes, and I-m-so-sorry breaks be easily forgiven. May they hear “yes” from my lips more then they hear, “no.” Discipline handled with love, given for their best, not my state of happiness. May I have a heart to enjoy these moments shared, and a home to embrace them. Even if I usher warning: children live here! to others, may these children be as welcome as guests and as love-thy-neighbors loved. May I treasure their presence always, for You did not forbid them. And, as a family may we always welcome Your presence here too.

Matthew 19:13-15

Then little children were brought to Him that He might put His hands on them and pray, but the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”
And He laid His hands on them…


                       I see Your love today, that even with my messes, You do not forbid me to come.

You might also like: Sweet Laughter, or  Story Time.

1 comment: