background

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Paper Dog Bones.

Words to my favorite Christmas song are:

What can I give Him
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd,
I would bring a Lamb.
If I were a wise man,
I would do my part.
So what can I give Him?
Give Him my heart.


Translation: To:Mommy
Mommy, I love you. I hope you have a very good Christmas.


My Christmas tree is filling up underneath. And I haven't even bought one gift for my family. It's filling up with little crayon covered packages: paper dog bones for Shadow, along with paper collars, little cards and paper jewelry for siblings, and fishing poles and glasses for their elves. 



The gift making is more fun than the gift getting. And to spend whole afternoons cutting and pasting seems so much more pleasant than writing out long lists to Santa. We've been so busy making gifts around here that we've neglected the most important gift giving. Today we will gather and ask what it is we will give to Jesus this Christmas. The wise men brought gifts for a King to a little babe in a manger. But Jesus doesn't have lists drawn up asking for gold, frankincense and myrrh. He simply asks for our hearts to be opened to Him and our lives to be lived for Him. I hope that is my intention throughout Christmas. I hope not to get frazzled about writing Christmas cards, and finishing lavender scented, rice-filled owls for everyone and their mother. And one for my mother too. That is not the gift giving He's asking for. In fact, He's not asking for more of me at all. He is offering all of Himself. He is the ultimate gift. And the greatest gift we can give to Him is accepting His tremendous gift to us. The best gifts don't come from under the tree at all. They come from a manger.

Today I see His love in the gift of Himself. He is here: offering peace in busy days, joy in the little moments cherished with my children, and unconditional love, such as can only be given by Him.

Together in Grace, 
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment