background

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

When Years Seem Like Days.


Why love? I need to know. The motions can choke me. Sometimes loving is so easy, uncontainable, and then I am filled again with the question. Those times, loving hurts. Deep down, love is serving, always in some form-- serving God, or myself. Serving out of love mimics the greatest Love I know, out of emptiness, then I simply build with wood, hay or straw.
                I know of a man who worked fourteen years for his bride. It’s a heart-sighing story of love at first sight. When the woman first came to him, she was unaware. She wasn’t working for his attention. She was working for her father, working for her Lord. In steps the hero. “When Jacob saw Rachel daughter of his uncle Laban, and Laban’s sheep, he went over and rolled the stone away from the mouth of the well and watered his uncle’s sheep.” Genesis 29. She might not have been trying to make a good impression, but he was. And he did. He rolled away the stone. He served, and it was just because he wanted to. He wanted to serve her so she would see his love. And it doesn’t end there. When the sheep were watered, he makes his first move. “Then Jacob kissed Rachel and began to weep aloud. He had told Rachel that he was a relative of her father and a son of Rebekah.” Love blossoms. He serves her father, and Laban asks him, “Just because you are a relative of mine, should you work for me for nothing? Tell me what your wages should be.”
                That was easy. Rachel had a lovely figure and was beautiful. Jacob was in love with Rachel and said, “ ‘I’ll work for you seven years in return for your younger daughter Rachel.’
Laban said, ‘It’s better that I give her to you than to some other man. Stay here with me.’ So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.“ (Genesis 29)
His loving service lasted a long time. He never asked, “Why?” The answer was always before him—because of his love for her. Pure romance—serving for fourteen years (as it ends up being) serving out of a full, deep desire to give nothing but love. I imagine a girl worthy of that love, a girl who brought out cool drinks to him in the field to keep him going, a girl who brought him barley cakes, who offered enough sweet smiles, who held him there by the gaze of her eye. But that is not what is written. We see only his devotion, his service—his joy, his whole hearted love.
It relieves me and pains me that the motives of my heart are only known by Him. If my motives were made visible, how much more would honesty, openess abound? Would the sight draw me closer to Him, closer to those I serve, or would shame and division result?
Joshua 22:5 Only be very careful to observe the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, to love the LORD your God, and to walk in all his ways and to keep his commandments and to cling to him and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul."
My fake service is unglorifying. And while I desire to serve Him, it’s much less gratifying to desire to clean toilets and do for someone who makes no attempts to serve back, to serve the thankless. Therein my heart stalls, motives fail. I serve out of stubbornness to do right, not desire to love. I forget to frame my mind, to remember that even these difficult opportunities to serve, are ones He has made, and made me for.  Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
My Lord serves me out of love-- me, who am too often myself thankless, who too often takes His service for granted, me, who fails to reciprocate. I am my own worse enemy, his enemy at the cross, and yet His motives remained pure. He served, served whole heartedly for me.

Mark 2
23 One Sabbath he was going through the grainfields, and as they made their way, his disciples began to pluck heads of grain. 24And the Pharisees were saying to him, "Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?" 25And he said to them, "Have you never read what David did, when he was in need and was hungry, he and those who were with him: 26how he entered the house of God, in the time of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the bread of the Presence, which it is not lawful for any but the priests to eat, and also gave it to those who were with him?" 27And he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath."

What love-- that He serves, He meets needs. His serves out of a love that cares about our needs. And promises to meet them. “And a man was there with a withered hand. And they asked him, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"— so that they might accuse him. 11He said to them, "Which one of you who has a sheep, if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not take hold of it and lift it out? 12 Of how much more value is a man than a sheep!” (Matthew 12)
Jesus never served for his own sake, but for our sake—not for his own praise, but for His Father’s accolade. Romance, in the form of love poured out, is an act of servanthood. Not for my gain, but yours, not for my thanks, but gratitude for Him. Not my pleasure, not my happiness, but I serve for His. “Not my will but Yours be done.” Service, out of an overflow of the heart. Service, out of love for others. Service, because I pledged my love. Service, not dependent on the circumstances, not dependent on the reactions, service because I truly, wholly love. Then 21 days of romance, turn into all my days romance. And all my days romance turns from “What have you done in return? Did you even notice? Did you remember?”…Turns from the “Why love?” And turns into ”because of my love”—always and ever, because of my love, because of His love. 
Lord, help me to live romance through my hands and feet, that they be as Your hands, serving hands. Help me to pen notes of encouragement, rub weary shoulders, pull home cooked dinners from the oven, clean and kiss dirty faces… Help me not to be merely Martha, serving with my hands, but Mary too, serving with my heart. Help me to be as John the Baptist, who lived and died to serve. Help me to be me-- serving with eyes not looking for returns on love, but looking at You.

                                                                                 A world-- full of hearts to serve...

Your love sonnet to me today: the love and service offered my from my sister during these wonderful days at her home.

"Do you understand what I have done to you? 13 You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. 14If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15For I have given you an example.”
John 13

Galatians 5:13
For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

1 Peter 4:11
whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

John 3:20-21 20 For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. 21But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God."

Care to see where we've been on this 21 Days of Romance? (Seeking out romance in His word) You might like to see: 

             awaken the heart to see and feel love.
               still feel.  
               stones.


No comments:

Post a Comment